Welcome to Shapings forums, if you are new, register now or

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pantyhose and culture

I noticed that for some parts of the world, people wear pantyhose more often than others. Does anyone else have experience with this?

For example, pantyhose doesn't seem popular in America. I rarely see women wearing pantyhose. Most of the time women go bare leg or wear opaque matte leggings.

When I was in Asia like Japan and China, pantyhose seems really popular. I see women wear pantyhose all the time. In many restaurants or working places, pantyhose is a must attire so many women wear pantyhose. I rarely see women go bare legged. Even in stores, you could always find people who sell pantyhose and they are at affordable price. Also, Asian women there seems to like wear pantyhose rather than complain about how uncomfortable pantyhose are.

Why you think pantyhose is not as popular in America compare to places like China or Japan? Wouldn't it be great if more people wear pantyhose?

I personally think pantyhose looks much better than bare legged.

It may be a question of fit...American pantyhose is really cheap and made for a few generic size types. I have hear so many American women complain about the fit of American-made hose, and yet none seem to want to try out the better quality stuff from across the pond!

That also explain the number of brands in Europe and Asia.

Yes Europe definitely has more numbers of brands than America. I am not sure whether Asia has many brands even though pantyhose definitely seems popular there. Do you guys think the media also has an effect?
    And Iggy that is a shame these women do not go for better quality pantyhose or ones that will fit them well.

I certainly agree that other countries the usage of pantyhose is much more common. In Europe it is very common to see nicely dressed ladies wearing PH for work and out to dinner or socializing. From my chats with girls and women here, it is poo pooed, like " Oh I had to wear PH it just sucks" or " I have to wear them to work so no chance anywhere else". It does seem to be a negative, perhaps it is associated with a "required professional wear" rather than a liking. Similar to men having to wear a neck tie. I also think that the casual attire which has come into our culture has set PH as "eah gads" attitude. To bad because I agree that bare legs do not look as nice as a pair legs with fine hosiery on them.

I am in the US, and I can definitely tell you that although this may sound totally mean-spirited, the pantyhose hate that has taken over the USA is from the cause of only one thing...that stupid tv show Sex and the City from HBO. Sarah Jessica Parker is the sole person responsible for making women all over America develop a hatred towards pantyhose. Before that show started airing on HBO, women were still wearing pantyhose regularly. So yes, the media is mainly to blame...Sex and the City and SJP are the soul culprits behind the Pantyhose hate in America. So many women follow trends and do what they see on tv that it is just CRAZY! Of course there are women who just don't like pantyhose regardless of what others say, but the vast majority of women in the US that hate pantyhose were set that way after that Damn show first appeared on HBO. Then the pantyhose-hating trend started and it can't be stopped. Still, most celebrities that have great legs still wear them regulary...women like Beyonce, Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and so many others. Still, it would be Incredible if the US could go back to the way it was in the 80's where women actually enjoyed and loved wearing hosiery. Nowadays, you are lucky if you see a woman wearing pantyhose when you go out. For me, it is a deal-breaker if the girl I am with doesn't like pantyhose...plain and simple. European women know what is Sexy and they stick with it. They also enjoy the feel of the High Quality hosiery that comes from all over Europe and Asia. I do feel that some of the PH Hate in the US is due to the cheap brands we have here, but most of it is from the Media and the trends that get set by it!
    Heels & Hose Lover

I sympathize with the frustration you feel, though I am not sure if I agree with your analysis of the phenomenon of pantyhose aversion. I think that some fanatical sects of feminism also attempted to portray pantyhose as a symbol of male oppression of women (e.g., corporate dress codes requiring female employees to wear skirts or dresses with pantyhose). Ironically, the self-styled fashion "experts" who denounce pantyhose most vociferously betray at the same time the greatest ignorance concerning the history and qualities of this garment. They are ones who have foisted on young women such lies as that it is unattractive to wear open-toe shoes with pantyhose, resulting ultimately in the atrocity of "toeless hose"--I mean, really, who would think that walking around all day with toes protruding through holes in one's stockings was a solution to any problem?

The immense majority of American women I have spoken with all say that they hate pantyhose because of the fit and comfort. American-made pantyhose just does not fit correctly nor is it very comfortable...THAT IMO is why most American women are so vehemently opposed to wearing it. They wear it at work because they feel they have to in order to appear more professional...but they don't like to.

In the current state of our society in the realms of professional women is it considered gauche to not wear pantyhose or stockings. The females of Hollywood according to the media and some by their own admission do not wear any foundation garments. As a result they appear like they are ... well they do not appear to attired for work or appropriate places of business. One might go the local bar or such on a Friday night without foundation wear ...

A lady will always dress appropriately for the place in which she is going. How much respect do you have for the people that you work with or for your clients, and that is how you should be dressing. I am not saying you have to wear stilettos and a dress, but low rise pumps or something works as well depending on how much you are trying to get the client to spend with your company.

I second that. I am not saying that you have to wear stockings or PH all the time, but that there is a time and place that they should be worn. Like I said earlier it is about how much respect do you have for yourself and for the company you are keeping.