Welcome to Shapings forums, if you are new, register now or

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You may be correct. But the better quality from across the pond as you say have to get here and be competitive with the local market, at least until they develop a following because of comfort. I am sure that more American women would wear them if they were more comfortable to wear.

The brands sold on this website are not in the places where PH are sold, even in some of the better stores like Nordstrom's and the like. They are doing a poor job at marketing the better fit. I think that if they would start a marketing campaign about the comfort of the fit rather than other items and may give a few pairs away to show how much better they fit, they may get some traction. They still have to be durable. Some women I know on buy the L'eggs regular or Sheer Energy because they are between 4 and 6USD.

Not to be inappropriate, but some of these same women also believe that the average male has enough ... whatever you want to call it to continuously go for 6 hours or more; ladies that is not reality. There is maybe 1 or 2, but in general that is not a realistic expectation.

Great question. I think it may have some of its roots in history. Historically the nations where pantyhose are more popular have not enjoyed the pleasures of nylons anywhere near the length of time they have appeared and been worn in the West especially in the US. I think they are seen as old school, out of date, out of fashion and of course out of pure fashion laziness. The latter explains the proliferation of flip flops, short shorts, wearing pajamas and fuzzy slippers in public along with sweat pants, work out suits and of course the ever present running or athletic shoe. It's despicably dreadful and sad. The only way I can even tolerate it is to ask myself if that particularly woman I see might have been a pantyhose wearer back in the golden age of the 70s and 80s when nylons were derigueur.

You are so correct. Hollywood is the worst offender; you only have to look at a 'Red Carpet' event. It seems that they are all in a competition to see how (or how little) much you have to wear to not be arrested for exposure. When I was growing up my mom always taught me that formal wear is a dress, usually longer, and PH along with all of the other foundation wear.
    These days it appears that nobody cares enough about how they present themselves to rest of society. If you respect yourself, then take care when you go out for the day.

A lot of great opinions! I will add mine to the mix. I have owned many cheap American brands from Silkies, Leggs, No Nonsense, DKNY, Hanes and perhaps all other brands. I have over the last 15+ years compared American brands to mostly European brands, such as the those marketed by Shapings. In my honest opinion, American brands are extremely low quality. The shine, smoothness, silkiness, fit, feel and durability of European brands far exceeds the aforementioned qualities of any domestic brands. The old adage "you get what you pay for" rings loud and true in the world of hosiery. I will gladly pay extra for quality fine hosiery that are more comfortable and make the legs more attractive and appealing.

Ironically, you can buy good quality European hose for cheaper than American stuff. Gabriella basic tights are dirt cheap (I pay $4/pair) but are leagues beyond in quality. The catch is you have to order them and not grab a pair in the drug store.

It would also bear pointing out that men in North America typically dress like slobs. So if you would to see women raising the stakes then give them something to aim for.

[QUOTE=coolcicada;2581]I noticed that for some parts of the world, people wear pantyhose more often than others. Does anyone else have experience with this?

For example, pantyhose doesn't seem popular in America. I rarely see women wearing pantyhose. Most of the time women go bare leg or wear opaque matte leggings.

When I was in Asia like Japan and China, pantyhose seems really popular. I see women wear pantyhose all the time. In many restaurants or working places, pantyhose is a must attire so many women wear pantyhose. I rarely see women go bare legged. Even in stores, you could always find people who sell pantyhose and they are at affordable price. Also, Asian women there seems to like wear pantyhose rather than complain about how uncomfortable pantyhose are.

Why you think pantyhose is not as popular in America compare to places like China or Japan? Wouldn't it be great if more people wear pantyhose?

I personally think pantyhose looks much better than bare legged.[/QUOTE]

American women may not like pantyhose but I most certainly do. I agree Pantyhosed legs look much better than bare legs. It would be great if more women AND men wore pantyhose.

In the last few years we can at least thank Kate Middleton for giving pantyhose somewhat of a resurgence . Apparently sales of sheer nude hose soared in the UK once women noticed she rarely went out in public in bare legs and the brand she wore sold out everywhere.

At least here in Canada, the brutal winters restrict bare legs for a good part of the year but in many cases, leggings have become the substitute for pantyhose. Not my cup of tea.

My wife for example, only wears hosiery on "date night" to please me otherwise they are pretty much non-existent in her wardrobe. When I met her in the 80s, she used to wear sheer black hose all the time! Ah the good old days…sniff…

From personal observation there is certainly is not a resurgence of hosiery here in south Florida. Fortunately, the Sunshine State provides an abundance of brilliant golden sunlight to step out in glossy glamour fashioning Eternos, CCs, or Sevillas and let my legs be blindingly noticed.

being someone that is Asian and have lived in China, Taiwan, and Japan ill post my 2 cents. In Japan from what i gathered when i lived there women going bare legged out is a big big no no. In Japanese culture bare legged or even going bare foot is completely not ok not even in one's house. When i went to visit a friend in Tokyo and he didn't have slippers for us to wear inside the house my female friend who had pantyhose on at the time even took out a pair of socks to put over her pantyhosed foot. At the time I thought it was weird and later on after we left my friends house, I asked her about it, she said that in Japan when you visit someone's house if they don't provide slippers you have to have a pair of socks on over your pantyhose. She explained that not only is it inappropriate its also very disrespectful. She also says its a common practice for one to wear socks in ones house until they take a bath/shower. So its really a Culture thing in Japan. As far as in China and Taiwan its rather quite weird how this all started. In Taiwan most females follow how Japanese females dress, my parents who are Taiwanese and when i asked my mom about it, she said that in the 60's when pantyhose first started showing up it was looked at as mostly a work dress uniform, but in Japan where it took off because of culture of never going bare legged or bare foot. Taiwanese women who saw it either through visiting Japan or through television shows started wearing it often that it became a norm to wear it either for work or for leisure. This also applies in China which pantyhose was non existent until the 80's, when pantyhose started first showing up women didn't really start wearing it until the 90's because of them opening up economically when big business started requiring women to wear pantyhose. During the 2000's a habit that i noticed among Japanese women and Taiwanese women was that they would wear pantyhose even wearing shorts during the warmer months when i asked about it, most females told me they did it because they thought that it would protect their legs from getting sunburned. During the colder months they could wear shorts and the pantyhose protected them from the cold. I also noticed that many college aged women would wear pantyhose all the time, which i also asked about and most of the answers i got was that because during high school they're only allowed to wear school uniform and Pantyhose was something that was not worn as part of the uniform so when they got to college they could for the first time wear whatever they wanted to, and for females pantyhose kind of expressed feminism. This is also the case in China and Japan. So basically in short because of the school uniforms that school aged girls had to wear all through out elementary, middle, and high school when they weren't really allowed to wear pantyhose, and once they had the freedom to do what they wanted to in college Pantyhose stood out as a symbol of feminism. Wheres in the US at least when i was in middle school and high school i noticed girls wearing pantyhose earlier than girls are able to in Asia, not only that Hollywood kinda made pantyhose really unpopular but in Asian cinemas Pantyhose are still worn by stars prevalently.